Wednesday, January 28, 2015

races and events 2015

I think not running for a while has made me a little crazy.  I am looking at a lot of running events, and I want to do them all.  So far for 2015 I have a few lined up:

  • Hapalua Half Marathon - April 13, 2015
  • Hibiscus Half Marathon - May 24, 2015
  • Honolulu Marathon - December 13, 2015

I am excited for these, even the Hapalua Half that I may not be as prepared for as I would like - stupid injuries!

I have also decided on entering the lottery for the Marine Corps Marathon, which opens sometime early March for the race in October.  This of course, isn't a definite - as it is a lottery to get in.

So, because I am not doing anything at the moment except for googling, I have looked up more events.  In Hawaii they have a series of events to get you prepared for the Honolulu Marathon, these are:

  • Boca Hawaii - Norman Tamanaha 15k - August 9, 2015
  • Runners HI 20k - September 6, 2015
  • Hokulani Bake Shop 25k - October 4, 2015
  • HMSA 30k - October 25, 2015
  • Mizuno Val Nolasco Half Marathon - November 15, 2015



Now, you can sign up for these events individually, or all at once for about $130 (before a certain date).  I am thinking this will be a great idea.  It will keep me motivated for the Honolulu Marathon, as well acting like great training runs.  The 30k is apparently the last 18 miles of the marathon course, so that would be fantastic to do.  The only problem is that would be the only race I would miss if I were to get into the Marine Corps Marathon.

I printed out a calendar from my computer last night, and put in all the dates of the races, as well as the MCM, and it looks possible!  I have a little bit of time to decide, but it will give me some great events to run for the second half of the year.

Training

I have been looking quite a bit into marathon training.  I am using Hal Higdon's plans for the half marathon coming up, but have also been reading about Hanson's Marathon Method.  This sounds great, but quite intense.

I definitely would stay motivated with my training using the Readiness Series above, and it will be like stepping stones to get ready for each race.  If I do this series, I will probably stick with Hal Higdon's guides.  

There is a North Shore Marathon planned for the start of 2016 (I think April?) so, if all goes well and I finish all my events for this year, but find that I want to try something different, I may try using the Hanson's plan for that marathon.  At the moment this is the marathon I could really hope to see some improvement in my times - it is a year away, it is where I live - so I can run the course, and it isn't hilly. 

I'm excited!  Now for my ankle to heal!

No comments:

Post a Comment