Tuesday, March 31, 2015

getting nervous

I have run half marathons before.  I think The Hapalua will be number 6.  My last one I finally managed to break 2 hours.  I wasn't really training to, I just knew I wanted to break 2 hours.

However, this time I am getting very nervous about my times.  The Hapalua has Diamond Head at mile 9 to run up.  It isn't much, probably about half a mile and 150 feet of elevation gain.  However that is way more than I am used to, with any of my races.  (I have done most of my runs in Florida after all).

I went to Waikiki over the weekend to give Diamond Head a go.  I am so happy with the choice to do this.  Diamond Head isn't too bad.  Though, I did start it at around mile 3 or 4, so my legs were still fresh.  Like I said, we don't get to the hill until about mile 9 in the race.  There is a nice downhill after, and really, it is pretty much flat or downhill until the end of the race - that shouldn't be too hard.

In a nutshell, my worries:


  • I worry that my long run pace is too slow. (I'm averaging a 9:30min/mile for the long runs)
  • I worry that there is a hill - at mile 9.  Are my legs going to be able to handle that?
  • I worry that when I do mile repeats at race pace I have trouble sticking to 'race pace'.  I go too fast.  How will I be able to keep on track?
  • I worry that I won't break 2 hours again.
That's it.  I think this is the first time I have put in dedicated hill runs, tempo runs and intervals into a training plan.  I haven't just been going out to run.  I have been following my plan (mostly).  That's a good thing.  So I guess an over view of the good things:
  • I have been training 5 - 6 days a week - consistently.
  • I have been doing hills, tempos, intervals, long runs.
  • I have been resting and foam rolling.
  • I have practiced on the course.

Maybe I am just over-thinking everything!

One thing I know for sure - I am excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment