I am now trying to work out with a game plan for the half marathon. I was thinking of something like this:
- Miles 1 - 4 at a 9:00 - 9:10 min/mile
- Miles 4 - 10 at a 8:50 - 9:00 min/mile
- Miles 10 - 13.1 - keep pushing the pace
But then I think that seems so fast and crazy. Can I do that? It seems a little fast, but let's look at what I have done through this training cycle:
- Long runs averaging around 9:20 - 9:30min/mile.
- Pushing the last few miles of the long runs to around an 8:30min/mile
- Tempo runs around an 8:30 min/mile
But looking back through my training, I wish I had done a few more tempo runs. I have one more coming up - a 30 minute run. I may try and simulate the race. Start at 9:00min/mile then push to an 8:50 and finish at around 8:30min/mile.
Goals for this race:
- I would love to PR - that means breaking 1:57:26. I have trained a lot more intensely for this half than any other half I have completed. However, I am expecting it to be humid and there is a hill. I am ok if I don't break my PR, but I really want to!
- Breaking 2 hours. I won't lie - I don't want to go back and be in the 2 hour range. I have felt the feeling of being under, and I want to keep it alive!
- Just finish without injury! This probably won't make me happy - but I guess I will have bling and will be able to learn from it for my next half.